Leave Yourself A Way Out
- As you drive, continuously position your vehicle so that you keep a margin of space around it.
- You have the greatest control over the space to the front of your vehicle.
- Keeping a good, safe margin to the front will help you avoid a collision in most situations.
Make Sure Others See You
- Use turn signals effectively by applying the signal at least 3 seconds before your maneuver and leave the signal on until you complete the maneuver.
- Try not to drive in other drivers’ blind spots (the areas not shown in their mirrors).
- Communicate with other drivers.
- Make eye contact if appropriate (near intersections, for example).
- Use daytime running lights or low-beams to increase your visibility.