- Emergency vehicles are a frequent sight on roads across Illinois.
- If you see an emergency vehicle (such as a police car, fire truck, or ambulance) that is displaying flashing lights and using its siren:
- Pull to the right side of the road
- Come to a stop if possible
- And wait for the emergency vehicle to pass.
- Stopping your vehicle allows the driver of the emergency vehicle to navigate the road safely in case he or she needs to turn into a driveway or cross street.
- When responding to an emergency call, seconds count. Anything that you can do to make the emergency vehicle driver’s job easier makes the road a safer place for everyone, and it could save a life.
- This procedure applies whether the emergency vehicle is behind or is approaching from the opposite direction.
Remember that emergency
vehicles always have the
right of way