Special Stops: Railroad Crossings
Railroad Crossings-Controlled Crossings
- When you are approaching a controlled railroad crossing (with flashing red lights and/or gates) and the warning devices are not activated:
- You should slow down
- Look in both directions on the track to make sure that a train is not coming.
- If it is clear, you may proceed with caution across the tracks.
- If a warning signal is flashing and/or the gates are lowered at a controlled crossing, you must:
- Remain stopped until the flashing red lights turn off, the gates are all the way up, and you’ve checked for trains.
- Stop within 15-50 feet of the railroad tracks