You might be aware of some of these laws already. Illinois law states that drivers cannot:
- Drive on a sidewalk except when it is part of a driveway.
- Back up on any shoulder or lane of a controlled-access highway.
- Back up on other roadways unless it can be done safely and without interfering with other vehicles.
- You should keep the door open for as short a time as possible in order to minimize the risk to bicyclists and other drivers.
- Travel across private property (such as through a gas station parking lot) to avoid an official traffic control device, such as a traffic light or a stop sign.