Special Stops: School Buses
School Buses transport hundreds of thousands of children each day across Illinois.
- In order to maximize safety, special rules apply when driving near school buses that are loading or unloading passengers.
- Two Lane Roadway: Stop before meeting or overtaking when loading or unloading passengers
- Four Lane Roadway: Traffic travelling in the same direction as the bus must stop, traffic travelling in the opposite direction is not required to stop, but you should drive with caution.
- Four-Lane Highway: You do not need to stop if travelling in the opposite direction, Drive with caution
- The driver will flash amber (yellow) and red lights on the front and back of the bus to let you know that he or she is stopping the bus.