Traffic Signals: Flashing Lights
Some traffic signals flash rather than illuminate steadily.
- Flashing Red light:
If you see a flashing red light,
- Stop and yield the right-of-way to traffic within the intersection or crosswalk and proceed when safe.
- A flashing red light is sometimes used with a stop sign in order to draw motorists’ attention to the stop sign.
- In addition, you’ll see flashing red lights at many railroad crossings.
- When the lights begin to flash, you must stop until the train has passed and the lights have stopped flashing.
A flashing yellow light means
- Proceed with caution.
- Flashing yellow lights are sometimes placed near fire station driveways to alert motorists to trucks entering or leaving the fire station driveway.