- They include cocaine, heroin, and opium.
- Aside from codeine and morphine prescribed to patients suffering from significant pain, the possession of narcotics is illegal.
- Narcotics produce a strong depressant effect on the central nervous system and can cause users to fall into a coma.
- In some cases, overdoses can result in death.
- A driver who is under the influence of a narcotic:
- will be slow to react to hazards;
- will suffer from impaired vision; and
- will not be able to concentrate on the driving task.