Pedestrians: Strategies for Reducing Risk
- Scan the road for pedestrians and yield to pedestrians in crosswalks (as well as pedestrians walking on your side of the road outside of crosswalks).
- Be alert for pedestrians who jaywalk, including those who emerge from the space between parked cars.
- Beware that some pedestrians will check their smartphones, send a text, or engage in cell phone calls as they walk through a crosswalk at an intersection.
- If you intend to make a right turn, for example, look through your path of travel to ensure that pedestrians see you.
- Be prepared to stop if a pedestrian doesn’t stop for you.