Aim High and Look Ahead
- Look in the upper-half of your windshield to scan the road 20-30 seconds ahead of your car
- Not just at the area directly in front of your car.
Keep Your Eyes Moving
- Rather than blankly staring straight ahead, the driver needs to survey the entire driving environment.
- Glance left and right.
- Check the side and rear view mirrors every 3 to 5 seconds.
- Note what other drivers are doing.
Get the Big Picture
- Similar to the ‘identify’ and ‘predict’ steps of the SIPDE process, you need to assimilate everything you see into one big picture.
- Look for pedestrians, road construction, and changes in the traffic flow.
- Note anything that might block your vision or otherwise increase your risk.