Multi-lane Highways: Strategies for Reducing Risk
- When changing lanes, change lanes one lane at a time.
- Steer smoothly from your lane to the next lane in order to avoid losing control of your car. At highway speeds, only a small turn of your steering wheel is needed to change lanes.
- If you are being passed by a larger vehicle, such as a semi truck, grasp your steering wheel firmly to avoid being pushed to the side of your lane by the gust of wind that follows the larger vehicle.
- If you are passing another car or truck, make sure that you can see the vehicle that you just passed in your rearview mirrors before returning to the lane in front of the car that you passed.
- If you cut in front of a car or truck before you see it in your mirrors, you could cause a crash.